He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
- Isaiah 40:29-31

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

We just can't win. Or can we?

Strep has hit the house. All of Noah's friends at school have had it so it was only a matter of time. Noah tested positive and as a precaution, the doctor put Adam on an antibiotic as well. We love her. Joshua's doctors up at Hopkins on the other hand wouldn't treat him unless he was positive. The doctor we saw in clinic yesterday decided that his throat looked fine so there was no need for a strep test. After talking it over with Jeff, we felt as if we should be proactive with this so we contacted his fellow. She wouldn't treat unless we had a strep test done and she wanted me to take him to the pediatrician's office. Good. We'll expose him to flu, strep or whatever else is sitting in the waiting room. Sounds smart to me. I wrote back to her making sure she wanted me to do that and since she didn't get back to me until after the office was closed, I was stuck taking Joshua to the Nighttime Pediatrics place. I pull up and there is no one there. Yeah, I can do this without freaking out. Well in the time we are sitting there 5 people that are all coughing and hacking come in and sit down. I am having a germ freak out at this point. We finally get taken back and I tell our story to the doctor who does a rapid strep test. Of course it comes back negative. Great. Great because he doesn't have it but great because now his doctor won't let us treat as a precaution.

In the meantime, Jeff has called Joshua's attending. We have decided we need to go straight to the top with all of the mess that has been going on with Joshua's treatment. Today, the attending finally got back to me and he has decided that he is in agreement with us and would like to treat him until he goes into the hospital for chemo on Monday. His comment was that we "need to prevent a fever and even more a delay in chemo so that we can finish this and get on with our lives." Amen to that.

So here I am thinking that we just can't seem to win. We have to fight for everything and then when we do get something to go right, I'm left wondering what's next. That's when I got the phone call.

Noah's school has been holding some raffles for it's upcoming Spring Gala. One of the raffles was for an overnight stay at the hotel where the Gala will be held on the night of the Gala. Guess who won! Yep. Us. WE SO NEED IT. I call Jeff and tell him. At first he doesn't believe me and then he asks the question that I'm already thinking of. "Where does that fall with Joshua's schedule?" By my calculations it could be a high chance of fever time. Ahhh. We'll just have to wait and see.


Keith, Kathy, Collin and Will said...

Sorry to hear you had to battle with Hopkins BUT congrats congrats on the overnight win!! You guys deserve it!